Wednesday, March 21, 2012

We have a new pet...maybe more than one...

This evening while minding my own business, with no intention of hurting any one or any thing, I closed the downstairs bathroom door and a tan gecko about 10 inches long fell from the ceiling near the door and landed with a light thud within inches of my feet. I jumped, the gecko jumped and then while I made a beeline for the other side of the house, Gary the Gecko scampered around the living room (BTW, geckos are VERY fast). Leslie bravely chased the little tan beastie around the living room while I cautiously stayed on the other side of the room providing plenty of "guidance" and "advice" on what her next move should be.
Let's just say that I am not a fan of lizards of any kind, but I digress.
During the seek and destroy process, we managed to turn over all of our living room furniture. Our living room looked like a WWE battle zone for a little while and Leslie actually had Gary the Gecko momentarily pinned with the dust pan between the end table and the overturned big couch, but he managed to wriggle away. (Not before he ran over my bare foot to get there. I managed to stifle my screaming like a school girl.)
So that said, I am more than a little dismayed to report that as I type this report, Gary the Gecko is still at large somewhere in the house. I asked my neighbor about geckos with some intelligent and insightful questions such as, "Do you know what this tan lizard thing is in our house?" (That is when I learned it was a gecko.) "Are geckos poisonous?" (No, they are not.) "If it bites me, will I die?" (Uh, no. With a look that said, "Are you that stupid?") and various and sundry other stupid questions that my neighbor answered. I asked some of these questions on my way to the computer lab under the auspices of checking to see if the internet was down on the compound... That is what I told Leslie anyway.
My neighbor also informed me that geckos were great at killing bugs and good to have around. I am still not convinced.Not in the slightest.
As a side note, the other day we had a couple of roaches in the house too. Apparently this is a side effect of living in a sub tropical climate; insects the size of small cars. But in this case, both roaches were the size of late 60s Buicks. I gave one the name of Ricky the Roach and my sincere hope is that Gary the Gecko meets and then eats Ricky the Roach.  Ricky and his cousin (now deceased thanks to a well placed thud of my shoe delivered by Leslie) must be the two largest roaches on the planet. I am sure that one of them was wearing a saddle and the other was carrying a 45. So unless Gary the Gecko meets and eats Ricky the Roach you may hear a scream in the middle of the night when either Gary the Gecko or Ricky the Roach pay me a middle of the night visit...  Gives new meaning to the line, "Say hello to my little friend!!!"

Oh yea, we are heading up to Al Murjan beach to spend the day Friday. Wonder if Ricky or Gary have any relatives running around up there?

Now this trip really is an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment