Monday, February 13, 2012

As interesting as you can imagine...

Arrived Sunday afternoon on the 12th in country. Today, the 13th, more orientation, testing and meetings. All good people and good things so far. I have not yet been to where I will be working, but that will happen soon enough. The compound is nice, as are the house that I have been issued and the grounds. Paid a visit to a local hospital this morning for more tests so I can get my residency permit. For those who think we have "poor" health care in the States, they should be required to visit another country. The tests I had in the States were required to just get into the country... Security is very good here and there have never been any real issues at this compound, so that is good. Basically, if you use common sense, do not go where you should not be at a time you should not go, you will be fine. Thanks to my old friend Kevin Mallory for his advice administered from the plaque on his desk, "Don't Do Nothin' Stupid"... Words to live by here.

The house is quite large. Well over 2500 Sq. ft. would be my conservative guess. Very quiet area and the house amazingly quiet inside. Four beds, three baths, nice little covered area out back with a small, no maintenance patio and yard. The appliances appear to be all new. I have some decorating to do for sure. Looks rather stark at the moment. They are working on getting internet in the house. Waiting for some hardware to come in. I was told by the IT guy there are major upgrades planned for that and the TV. Good news.

Lots of kitties roaming around the compound to make friends with. The compound cats are popular and everyone has names. Slim, Miss Piggy, Slinky... all funny stuff. I plan on feeding and befriending a kitty or two. Don't tell my farm cat "Gabby"... though, I suspect she is being adequately spoiled by Patty and Josh.

Near the compound, there are numerous ethnic stores that seem to burst at the seems with just about everything you can think of. Turkish, Indian, Pakistani, you name it, it's here. There are numerous "regular" grocery stores, a couple of them within walking distance and they are not all that different than your typical HyVee. There is food everywhere n this city and pretty much everything you would want or need in the States is available here as well. Not to mention pretty much EVERY fast food chain on the planet. Boo.

Driving is truly the most insane thing I have ever seen anywhere in my life. EVER! Yesterday on the way back from the airport there were no fewer than FOUR wrong way drivers on an 8 lane, two way road. They would drive down the middle of the road in the wrong direction flashing their lights and waving their hands like that would help keep the swarm of honking, swearing oncoming traffic at bay.


I believe the only requirement for getting you license here is the ability to see over the steering wheel and use the car horn.
Lane markers are merely vague suggestions, speed limit signs are simply something to block the view of the wrong way drivers and every intersection, turnaround, and dreaded roundabout are merely variously sized groupings of honking, angry hulks of shiny steel trying to get from one side of the road to the other. If it were not so amazingly terrifying, it would be hilarious. I am in no hurry to drive, but I am told I will have to. It's not an option... I am also told that soon enough, I will eventually drive like a local... THAT should be fun!

I have already seen my share of exotic cars. Several high end Mercedes, FJ Land Cruisers (new models) are everywhere and Porches are as common as Chevys are in the states. There are several Euro car brands and the Hyuandai brand is as common as flies at a picnic. I have seen car models  from Spain, Romania and even Russia and last night at the local grocery store, there was a red Ferrari F340 parked next to our car when we came out. Yes, a Ferrari F340. Google it. It's no grocery getter, but there it was. Amazing.

Weather has been awesome. Lows in the 60s, highs in the 80s, sunny and beautiful, though I suspect my tune will change when it hits the 120s in July and August with %45 humidity. Can you say, "oven"?
That's what AC was made for.

More to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment