Monday, February 20, 2012

Establishing a rhythm...

Well, it has been over a week since I landed in country and I have been working at my actual job for almost a full week. I had a couple days of orientation last week. My adjustment to this new lifestyle seems to be somewhat slow and deliberate, and I am OK with that. i am really looking forward to seeing Leslie again and knowing my paperwork and hers are in process helps. We are hoping mid to late March, but we shall see.

And as far as work is concerned, well, work is work. Not much different from any job as far as the work itself is concerned, but the setting and all that sure is different! Let us just say that working here is truly an adventure and something that very few people are asked to do and I will definitely have some stories to tell.

Here is another photo of the street near the house. This compound is like an oasis. Very quiet, secure and just pleasant. That seems to be the word that comes to mind when I think of the compound. Pleasant.



I like to think I am beginning to establish a nice rhythm. For some odd reason I do not sleep as much as I did in Minnesota. If I get can 6 hours here, I am good to go. Not sure what the deal is with that. But if it works, hey, who am I to worry? I feel great. I run a couple miles almost every day and when I do not run, I take long walks in the area. I watch where and when I go places, remembering that do not do anything stupid motto. I am told it pays to keep a watchful eye on your surroundings. Truth is, Jeddah is really just a big city in an amazing location. Think of it as a small, international version of Phoenix with an ocean on the West side.

The architecture is amazing. Definitely a Turkish influence, but Jeddah itself has amazing buildings and palaces where sheiks, sultans and princes reside. On that note, most of the country, muck like America, are just working stiffs like the rest of us. Believe nothing of what you see and read in the States of these people.

The door to a palace not far from the compound.



The area is riddled with strips of little shops bulging with the finest cheap products China has to offer. Seems the locals are on a never ending quest for mediocrity and once in a while, they actually make it. Looking forward to doing some shopping here one night this week.


My coworker Steve has made my transition here very smooth both at work and at the compound. He has been here since 06, but lived here before for about 10 years. He also lived in Morocco a couple years and speaks several Arabic dialects fluently. Not to mention he can read and write in Arabic. I would be lost without his help. He is gracious and patient both with me and others. Seems to be his nature and that works well here. Seems I still have lessons to learn... go figure.

He has invited me to join him Thursday, which is our weekend here, at a gig with him and his band. They are performing at another compound. Should be interesting.  They seem to play somewhere pretty much every weekend. Should be interesting.

More news later this week. I will try to blog once a week at least. Let us see how this new rhythm goes before I commit!


No comments:

Post a Comment